Thursday, September 20, 2012

Miley and #2

I have been wanting to start this blog, mainly to be able to write down things about our family.... a scrapbook. So today I decided to start, here we go-

Instead of trying to play catch up on our life, I am starting here and will fill in the details when necessary. Today during school, my second year of homeschooling Elijah. I home schooled him half-time last year and full time this year. He went to school 2 days a week for electives and I did the core at home with him. This year he is full time. So the need for being creative, field trips and time management and planning is needed more than ever. Not only is this my first year but Miley is starting preschool, so trying to find the balance of 2 kids, different grades and life well.... it's going.....
I have found that some subjects I can combine, great advice from another home school mom. This has been fun! For example, during Elijah's reading we read together and than I ask questions appropriate to there age. This can be interesting at times, especially when Miley answers questions that were meant for Elijah :/
Elijah reading to Miley 

Miley reading the ABC's to Elijah..... 

Elijah started a unit on plants so Miley join's in on the science lesson also! Amazing what she can learn.

Today!!! Oh TODAY!!!! During school, Elijah was about half-way done with his day and I started preschool with Miley. We were working on numbers, specifically number 2. We practice tracing, than tracing dots, and lastly trying to write the letter by herself. The curve at the top of #2 was challenging her, she kept writing it backwards and bless her heart she was getting frustrated and had some tears flowing down her cheek. At this point Elijah stopped practicing his bible verse that he was memorizing, walked over to Miley's desk and said, "You can do it Miley I believe in you." THIS MY FRIENDS is why I LOVE homeschooling!!! It is these moments that make the frustrating moments worth it and believe me there are definitely frustrating moments.
I told Miley to practice writing a few more #2's and I began to listen to Elijah recite his verse to me. When Elijah was finished I looked back over to Miley and she had wrote a beautiful #2! So yes- you know it-  we did the happy dance, celebrating together. I love that I was able to be apart of this moment, thank you Lord for this opportunity.


Most importantly, the lesson for my family today was encouragement. A verse that rings in my heart after today.....
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact as you are doing.
I believe that we can take the life Christ desires for us, encouraging each other to live into the holiness of God, even in 'small' things such as being able to write the number 2!

My kids teach me everyday. SHH!!! Don't tell them.




No comments:

Post a Comment